True North recording artist Barney Bentall appeared on Beat Surrender back in May of this year with his solo album Flesh & Bone and now he’s back but this time as part of a collaborative bluegrass band The High Bar Gang who have being playing throughout western Canada for the last three years as headliners as well as supporting Blue Rodeo, the bands debut album Lost and Undone : A Gospel Bluegrass Companion features covers of gospel songs made popular by the likes of bluegrass legends Bill Monroe (Walking In Jerusalem, Mothers Only Sleeping) and the Stanley Brothers (Over In Gloryland, Daniel Prayed, Paul & Silas) as well as Hank Williams I Saw The Light and Julie Miller’s All My Tears.
Lead vocal duties on the recording are shared by Wendy Bird, Angela Harris, Shari Ulrich (Vocals, Fiddle, Mandolin) and Barney Bentnall (acoustic guitar) alternating from track through to thirteen with plenty of sweet vocal harmonising to enjoy, track fourteen I Saw The Light is credited to all four voices and the band is completed by bassist Rob Becker, guitarist Colin Nairne with Eric Reed on banjo,mandolin and dobro, keeping the music true to it’s roots the songs were recorded live and in mono.
The album is out now in Canada from True North and from Proper in the UK from December 2nd.
Track-listing (lead vocal)
1. Over In The Gloryland (Wendy Bird)
2. Walking In Jerusalem (Angela Harris)
3. Angel Band (Shari Ulrich)
4. Paul And Silas (Barney Bentall)
5. All My Tears (Wendy Bird, Shari Ulrich, Angela Harris)
6. Daniel Prayed (Wendy Bird)
7. Hand In Hand With Jesus (Barney Bentall)
8. Sinners You Better Get Ready (Shari Ulrich)
9. Green Pastures In The Sky (Angela Harris)
10. Rank Strangers (Wendy Bird)
11. Heaven’s Light Is Shining (Barney Bentall)
12. Mother’s Only Sleeping (Wendy Bird)
13. The Fields Have Turned Brown (Barney Bentall)
14. I Saw The Light (all)