Feel Bad For You November 2013
Just in time for the weekend here’s this month’s FBFY offering for your enjoyment.
Big thanks and appreciation to Scott for putting this together for us this month, and for letting me get away with an extra helping.
1. Title: Black Star (Radiohead cover) Artist: Gillian Welch Album (Year): Black Star EP (2006) Submitted by: @TheSecondSingle Comments: A beautiful cover of a great song from my favorite Radiohead album. Very hard for anyone to take a Radiohead song and make it their own, particularly an alt. country artist, but Welch does it. [Editor’s note: I missed this last month, for the covers mix, so added it this month]
2. Title: Finally Artist: The Frames Album (Year): Burn the Maps (2004) Submitted By: April @ Now This Sound Is Brave Comments: With the stellar success of the film “Once”, Glen . . . → Read More: Feel Bad For You – November 2013 Mixtape
Cover Version Special for this months FBFY, big thanks to Annie @AnnieTUFF for the artwork and Scott @BoogieStudio2 for curating.
1. Title: Love Hurts Artist: Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris Album: Grievous Angel (1974) Submitted By: @toomuchcountry Comments: On Thursday, September 19, I took in a show at The 5 Spot featuring several of East Nashville’s great singer-songwriters. Included on the bill were Amelia White and Jon Byrd. She reminded the audience the evening was the 40th anniversary of Gram Parsons’ death. Then Byrd sang the Everly Brothers’ “Love Hurts” – a song Parsons recorded during sessions in 1973 and eventually released in 74 as Grievous Angel.
2. Title: It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll (But I Like It) Artist: Banda Do Sul; Natascha Album (year): Bossa n’ Stones, Vol. 2  Submitted By: hoosier buddy Comments: There are two compilation albums of bossa . . . → Read More: Feel Bad For You – October 2013 Mixtape
This months FBFY just in time for the weekend – feeling lucky today?
For September we have a theme, Unsung Hero’s chosen by Scott who has also done the hard work and put the thing together for us – with a little help from @PhilNorman on the artwork, my choice the wonderful Mr. Jeff Finlin who you can find a bit more about by searching the site.
1. Title: Who Could Ask For More Artist: Gerald Collier Album (year): Breakin’ Down (2003) Submitted By: @BoogieStudio22 Comments: Gerald Collier is a singer/songwriter I’ve submitted before, but in my mind, he epitomizes this month’s ‘unsung heroes’. He was a member of 90s alternative band Best Kissers In The World before going solo. He’s put out a bunch of albums from the mid-90s to about 2007, but ‘disappeared’ after his 2007 release. His albums plumbed the depths of addiction, . . . → Read More: Feel Bad For You – September 2013 Mixtape
Here’s this months’ FBFY compilation for you, a big thanks to Scott for the artwork and putting it all together.
Yours truly managed to screw up his email entry so I’ve slotted mine in separately, you can take a listen to it right at the end of the post.
1. Title: Por Ai Artist: Bárbara Eugênia Album (year): Journal de BAD  Submitted By: hoosier buddy Comments: One of the thinks to do in Brazil is to stay out all night, smoking cigarettes and drinking Coca-Cola. This song is about that cultural meme, and also about missing someone, and wishing they would come by. Bárbara Eugênia is influenced by Brazilian and French music, and brings a retro vibe to contemporary arrangements. Check out the strange video here: http://www.last.fm/music/B%C3%A1rbara+Eug%C3%AAnia/+videos/+1-MHTctCpx-C4
2. Title: The Truth Artist: Dr. Dog Album: B-Room (2013) Submitted By: Mad Mackerel Comments: The first taste of . . . → Read More: Feel Bad For You – August 2013 Mixtape
It FBFY time, this months selection box of musical delights from the Feel Bad For You team.
1. Title: Candy Artist: Iggy Pop (featuring Kate Pierson) Album (year): Brick by Brick (1990) Submitted By: Rockstar Aimz Comments: I heard this two weeks ago on one of the college stations here in Boston, and it’s been stuck in my head since then. This song is Iggy Pop’s first and only US Top 40 hit, peaking at number 28.
2. Title: Jeremy’s Glory Artist: Jason & The Scorchers Album: Clear Impetuous Morning (1996) Submitted By: toomuchcountry Comments: I cherish our unalienable rights and the liberties of this nation. But I try not to take them for granted. I try to be ever mindful of the hell many have gone through on the field of battle to ensure those rights and liberties continue.
3. Title: What’s Going On Artist: Marvin . . . → Read More: Feel Bad For You – July 2013 Mixtape
Here’s this month’s Feel Bad For You compilation – the theme is Feel Bad For You and we’ve chosen tracks that reflect our individual interpretation of it – we’ve a new contributor on-board this month Adam @BrokenJukeboxUS who blogs at Broken Jukebox.
Thanks to Too Much Country (@toomuchcountry) for this month’s artwork and Scott for curating.
1. Title: You’ve Got Your Head On Backwards Artist: The Sonics Album (Year): Introducing the Sonics (1967) Submitted By: @popa2unes Comments: Feel bad for you, You’ve Got Your Head On Backwards
2. Title: Skinny Little Bitch Artist: Hole Album (year): Nobody’s Daughter  Submitted By: hoosier buddy Comments: I love how the song gradually speeds up at the end. And the lyric just drips with derision. And it’s easy to dance to!
3. Track: Bad Feeling Artist: The Beat Up Album: Black Rays Defence (2005) Submitted By: Mad Mackerel Music . . . → Read More: Feel Bad For You – June 2013 Mixtape